As your go-to resource for community anchor institution broadband, the SHLB Coalition is proud to host webinars featuring key industry leaders and researchers around the topics in our Broadband Action Plan.
The most recently recorded webinar is available to the public for a month following its air date, but SHLB members may access the full archive of webinars through our online resource library.
SHLB webinars are free and open to the public.
Scoring Congressional Broadband Proposals
June 19, 2019
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET
The Hill has been abuzz about broadband infrastructure over the past few weeks. Congress is considering several bills that specifically address the need for high-quality broadband - but not all proposals acknowledge the connectivity needs of anchor institutions. "Scoring Congressional Broadband Proposals" will examine the broadband bills most likely to become law and discuss those with the most potential to attain the National Broadband Plan's goal of gigabit connectivity for all community anchor institutions.
Meet the Panel
- Moderator: John Windhausen Jr., executive director, SHLB Coalition
- Phillip Berenbroick, Senior Policy Counsel, Public Knowledge
- Michael Romano, Sr. Vice President of Industry Affairs & Business Development, NTCA - The Rural Broadband Association
- Thomas Cohen, Partner, Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
Update on TV White Space Technology
May 8, 2019
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. ET
Unlicensed spectrum has played an enormous role in allowing anchor institutions to expand their broadband connectivity. In March, the FCC issued a Report and Order, and Order on Reconsideration that removed some of the regulatory barriers hindering the deployment of TV white space (TVWS) technologies. Womble Bond Dickinson Partner Marty Stern will moderate a discussion with Microsoft Director of Technology Policy Michael Daum, Gigabit Libraries Network Executive Director Don Means, and Cornell Institute for Public Affairs Lecturer John Foote to explore what the amended TVWS rules mean for future deployments of the technology, and the implications for anchor institutions.
Meet the Panel
- Moderator: Marty Stern, Partner, Womble Bond Dickinson
- Michael Daum, Director of Technology Policy, Microsoft
- Don Means, Executive Director, Gigabit Libraries Network
- John Foote, Lecturer - Science, Technology and Infrastructure Policy, Cornell Institute for Public Affairs
SHLB Coalition members gain access to our entire archive of webinar recordings, listed below. Please be sure you are logged in to the membership portal before clicking the links below.
- April 2019 - How Anchors Can Be Digital Inclusion Leaders
- February 2019 - Key Concepts in Spectrum Policy
- January 2019 - Potential Pitfalls for E-rate Applicants
- December 2018 - Unsolved Mysteries of the Rural Health Care Program
- November 2018 - Broadband Legislation in the 116th Congress
- July 2018 - How EBS Impacts Anchor Institutions
- June 2018 - State Broadband Programs
- May 2018 - Decoding E-rate Fiber
- April 2018 - Federal Policy Overview
- March 2018 - Spectrum Options: EBS, TV WhiteSpace & More
- February 2018 - County Broadband Initiatives
- January 2018 - Libraries as Digital Inclusion Champions
- December 2017 - E-rate Fiber
- November 2017 - E-rate and the Homework Gap
- October 2017 - Connect America Fund Introductory Webinar
- September 2017 - Rural Health Care Program: Crisis, Funding, and the Future
- April 2017 - Rural Health Care Program
- March 2017 - Broadband in the Infrastructure Bill
- February 2017 - Successful Models for State Subsidy Programs
- January 2017 - Partnerships and Rural Broadband Needs
- November 2016 - Government Funding and Networks
- October 2016 - Reducing Broadband Costs: Competition & Infrastructure
- September 2016 - The First Steps in Creating a Broadband Plan