Each year, the SHLB Coalition holds elections to replace members of our Board of Directors who have completed their terms of service. This year we have two openings available, with one spot reserved for a staff member of a Community Anchor Institution.
As the Board of Directors provides strategic advice to and financial oversight over the SHLB Coalition, a potential board member should be able to act and speak in the best interests of SHLB. Being a Board Director does require a time commitment. In addition to attending the four annual board meetings, you are expected to serve on at least one SHLB committee and to help with membership recruitment.
Anyone interested in running for the Board must meet these qualifications:
- Must be a member in good standing--the member organization must be current with their dues and have been a member since at least January 2023.
- Must be endorsed by at least one other SHLB member (from a different organization).
To apply, please provide the following:
- A brief bio (no more than 1250 characters).
- A headshot (sizing details in the application).
- An endorsement from another SHLB member (details in the application).
- A brief statement about why you are interested and how your experience has prepared you for Board service.
- You will need to sign into Google when accessing the application form below because we are collecting/saving information you provide.
How will voting work?
Voting will take place via an online ballot. The candidate’s information will be distributed to all members beforehand, and the candidates will be able to speak to members during our annual conference (October 10-12th) and on a member call (October 23rd or November 6th).
Voting opens on October 25 and closes on November 8, 2023.
The top two candidates with the highest votes (granted that at least one is a staff member of a Community Anchor Institution) will be announced the week of November 13th.
The new directors will be invited to attend a Board orientation meeting, as well as observe the December board meeting, before formally commencing their term in January 2024.
Timeline and Details
September 19 - applications open
October 2 - applications close
October 9 - candidates verified
October 10-12 - candiates have the option to make a 5 minute presentation during the AnchorNets member meeting
October 23 - candidates have the option to make a 5 minute presentation during a member call
October 25 - voting opens
November 6 - candidates have the option to make a 5 minute presentation during a member call
November 8 - voting closes
November 10 - results certified by the Board Governance Committee
November 13-17 - winners are announced
December 12 - newly elected Board Members observe a board meeting and attend an orientation
January 1 - newly elected Board Members' term starts with full voting rights
Download a PDF with full details for interested candidates.
You can read more about our current board members here.
Please reach out to Kristen Engebretsen, SHLB's Chief Operating Officer, with any additional questions.