Broadband Infrastructure News and Updates
President Trump and senior members of congress have announced plans to include broadband in upcoming infrastructure legislation. Track breaking developments and SHLB's advocacy to ensure schools, libraries, clinics, and other community anchor institutions (CAIs) are recognized in infrastructure legislation.
The Internet has become perhaps the most important basic infrastructure – in fact, some argue that broadband access to the Internet is a “meta-infrastructure” that benefits transportation, energy and all other infrastructures. Yet rural areas have been left in the dust when it comes to staying up to speed in the digital age. Thirty-nine percent of rural Americans and 41 percent of tribal lands lack access to basic 25 Mpbs broadband service. Compare those numbers to only 4 percent of urban residents. SHLB's American Broadband Connectivity (ABC) Proposal seeks to address this persistent digital divide and build the virtual roads needed to pave the path to the future.
SHLB's ABC Proposal
The goal of this program is to ensure that every American community has affordable, high-capacity broadband connectivity to the Internet through its community anchor institutions (CAIs). This document recommends a variety of policy measures to encourage commercial and non-commercial broadband providers to deploy fiber and wireless broadband networks efficiently and to make those services available to the general public at affordable prices through each community’s anchor institutions.
SHLB's Recent Activities
- SHLB Coalition's Letter to President Trump Urging Broadband for Anchor Institutions
- PRESS RELEASE: Schools, Libraries, and Companies Urge Trump Administration to Invest in Broadband Infrastructure
- SHLB hosted a webinar on its Rural ABC Plan. Watch the recording.
- SHLB's blog "Rural Communities Left in the Digital Dust"
- PRESS RELEASE: SHLB Coalition Applauds Senate Democrats’ Infrastructure Proposal
Energy and Commerce Committee Democrats Introduce Infrastructure Package
May 17, 2017 - Democrats on the Energy and Commerce Committee today introduced a broad 21st Century infrastructure package that includes $40 billion for broadband deployment
- 06/22/17 - Trump Pledges Rural Broadband Support in Infrastructure Package
- 05/17/17 - E&C Democrats Unveil Comprehensive Infrastructure Package
- 05/15/17 - Department of Transportation Secretaty says Infrastructure Package Reveal in Next Few Weeks (The Hill)
- 04/12/17 - Timeline for Trump’s $1 trillion infrastructure plan still ‘up in the air’ (The Hill)
- 04/05/17 - Blair Levin and Larry Downes outline how to include broadband in infrastructure legislation. (Washington Post)
- 03/20/17 - FCC Announces April is Infrastructure Month
Additional Research and Resources
|May 2017||House letter stressing importance of broadband||House|
|May 2017||Senate Broadband Caucus Letter to President Trump||Sen. King|
|Feb 2014||Federal Broadband Deployment Programs and Small Business||GAO Report|
|Jan 2017||Improving the Internet's Digital Infrastructure||Paul de Sa|
|Jan 2017||Proposals for Building Our Nation's Broadband Future||Internet2|
Sign Up to Receive Our Mailing List!
Subscribe to receive the latest updates on our policies, events, and latest activies.