Since its inception in June 2009, the SHLB Coalition has become one of the leading national champions for open, affordable broadband for community anchor institutions. We have participated in a variety of important proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission, the the U.S. Department of Commerce, the Executive Branch, and in selected state proceedings. Below is a brief summary of some of the "Hot Topics" we are tracking closely at the moment. The links on the right hand side provide additional information about other SHLB initiatives over the past few years.
- Status: The FCC may adopt its next E-rate reform Order at the December 11, 2014 Commission meeting.
- SHLB News: The SHLB Coalition filed a cost study produced by CTC Technology & Energy on Oct. 17, 2014, along with a cover letter summarizing our recommendations.
- Other News: Comments overwhelmingly support the Petitions for Reconsideration to change the definition of "rural" to allow more rural schools and libraries to obtain the additional "rural discount."
Connect America Fund
- Status: The FCC is expected to adopt the next Order setting forth the obligations of recipients of CAF funding the spring of 2015.
- SHLB News: SHLB filed comments (along with SECA) recommending that Community Anchor Institutions should be presumptively entitled to receive fiber from CAF recipients, unless the CAF grants a waiver.
- Status: The FCC's deadline for filing applications for rural broadband experiments was Nov. 7, 2014.
Healthcare Connect Fund
- Status: USAC provided a webinar materials on Oct. 28 with latest information about the status of HCF applications.
- SHLB News: SHLB convened a Healthcare Broadband Working Group.