MEDIA ALERT: Broadband Leaders Gather for the 8th Annual SHLB Conference, Oct. 10-12 October 08, 2018
For Immediate Release
The Schools, Health & Libraries Broadband (SHLB) Coalition will host the Eighth Annual SHLB Conference: Building the Future - Bit by Bit this week. The three-day event convenes 300 policy leaders, broadband companies, schools, libraries, research and education networks, and telehealth networks from across the country to explore the key issues impacting community anchor institution broadband. Sessions will approach topics like broadband infrastructure and mapping, E-rate and rural healthcare, and spectrum. The Conference will also focus on the midterm elections and the future of Universal Service Fund (USF) Programs.
WHAT: Eighth Annual SHLB Conference
WHEN: From 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 10 to 1:30 p.m. on Friday, October 12, 2018
WHERE: Washington Marriott Georgetown, 1221 22nd Street NW, Washington, D.C.
WHO: Broadband experts and anchor institutions from across the nation. Highlights from the 85 speakers on the Conference program include:
- FCC Commissioner Michael O’Rielly will participate in a broadband policy jam session at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 11.
- U.S. Senator Roy Blunt, R. Mo., and Missouri Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft will speak in a keynote session at 8:15 a.m. on Thursday, October 11.
- Larry Irving, former administrator of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), will speak about U.S. Internet policy in a keynote session at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 11.
- FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel’s Chief of Staff Travis Litman will participate in a panel on the homework gap at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 11.
- Former North Carolina Governor Bev Perdue and Former Wyoming Governor Jim Geringer will speak on a panel about their nonprofit (DigiLEARN) at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday October 11.
- NTIA Chief of External Affairs Aimee Meacham will moderate a broadband mapping panel at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, October 12 with USAC representatives Joelle Tessler and Edward Bliss. Tessler and Bliss will unveil a map of Connect America Fund recipients at the start of the panel.
- Deputy Chief Counsel of the House Subcommittee on Communications and Technology Tim Kurth and Democratic Counsel to the House Subcommittee on Communication and Technology Jerry Leverich will participate in a keynote Congressional panel at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, October 12.
To obtain free registration for this event as a member of the press, visit the conference website.
The SHLB Coalition is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) advocacy organization that supports open, affordable, high-quality broadband connections for anchor institutions and their surrounding communities. The SHLB Coalition is based in Washington, DC and has a diverse membership of commercial and non-commercial organizations from across the United States. To learn more, visit www.shlb.org.